Monday, June 21, 2010

A Little Kid Imagination

Perhaps it is folly to try to blog in the midst of a vacation trip, after two mai tais.  But I have a commitment to myself (and you) to write once a week so here goes.  A few observations from an unexpected trip to the "happiest place on earth."


1.  It is an amazing treat to get to spend time with friends from middle school (we are here to visit Wayne's friend, Meleah, who has been his friend since middle school).  And to see her children (her daughter and teammates are down from Michigan for a volleyball tournament) and my children (and niece) make new connections.  At first our girls and the Michigan girls didn't mingle.  Somehow the novelty of hearing Elizabeth's and Tenley's southern accents was the catalyst for interaction and next thing I knew, everyone was in the pool together. 

2.  Although it is a hit and miss experience, it is nice to shake up the fitness routine by figuring out a way to keep it going on the road.  (It is also a huge motivator to know I need to keep reporting in to Daily Mile.)  I had a bland experience at the Wingate Inn "fitness center," a sweaty but great run through the adjoining corporate park, two challenging stationary bike workouts here at the Regal Sun Resort, and a hot, sweaty, but invigorating run along Lake Buena Vista Blvd, including a discovery of a little diversion through an "island walk." 





3.  It is a weird dichotomy to be reading a book called, "You're Not the Boss of Me -- Brat-Proofing your 4-12 year old child" when you are at a place where pretty much every interaction has to do with spending money on something child-centric, making a family decision about where to eat amongst differing desires, or seeing young children in all-out tantrum mode.  Although I often feel that I am behind the eight ball on this, it was rewarding to see Wayne Kevin get to spend a day at EPCOT for "free," having spent a day in January sharing oobleck with the children of the Springfield Housing Project for his Disney Day of service. 



3.  It is mindbending to see your children grow up.  When Wayne Kevin and I were at Ridemakerz, he chose stickers to decorate the car(s) he had just built.  When the stickers didn't look that great on the car, I said, "well, you can use them on your notebooks next year" (he will be entering 6th grade).  He gave me that look - the one I have become accustomed to raising a rising 9th grader.  I said, "Oh, too little kid for you, huh?"  The comment that floored me was this:

But I still have a little kid imagination.


May you always.

I will "run" into you next week, readers!

No comments: